Assist the pastor in providing spiritual leadership for the congregation.
A. Discern the spiritual needs of the congregation.
B. Guide the congregation in developing its vision and mission and keep these things in focus.
C. Oversee public worship: preaching/teaching, and worship services.
D. Oversee the equipping of members for use of their gifts.
E. Oversee and model pastoral care, mutual care, and mutual aid.
F. Oversee pastoral care including crisis ministry, nurturing new believers, premarital and marital counseling, illness, grief, self-understanding, etc.
G. Facilitate the decision making process in the congregation in these areas: Leadership and policy issues. The elders are to help the congregation become involved in issues affecting us or people around us, provide biblical and contemporary information, be responsible to plan and follow through with a process.
HI. Work together with other groups in congregation as need arises.
I. Conduct pastoral evaluation annually.
J. Lead the congregation in self-evaluation and in pastoral review every three years in cooperation with Church Council.
K. Provide counsel to the pastor(s).
L. Make recommendations to congregation relating to membership: baptism, transfer in or out, forfeiture and reinstatement.
M. Help define pastor’s time and energy priorities.
N. Serve as support group to pastor(s).
O. Approve two members at large from congregation to serve on Worship Committee with alternating two year terms.
P. By virtue of office, an elder will serve on the Gift Discernment Committee, Church Council and Worship Committee. (Selection made by elders.)
Q. Recommend to Church Council one member-at large from the congregation to serve on the Gift Discernment Committee.
R. Resolve objections referred by the Gift Discernment process.
S. Needs to comply as described in Sexual Misconduct Policy.
T. Submit report for Annual Business Meeting.
A. Accountable to: Church Council
B. Membership – five or six persons
2. Four persons selected from the congregation by Gift Discernment to serve for a four year term. One person selected annually.
C. Membership required.
Other Job Descriptions:
- Adult Superintendent
- Bible School Committee
- Board of Elders
- Boy’s Venture Club Leaders
- Cemetery Sexton
- Central Plains Conference Lay Delegate
- Church Chorister
- Church Council Member
- Church Council Moderator
- Church Council Secretary
- Church Financial Officer
- Church Historian
- Congregational Life Editor
- Early Childhood Care Coordinator
- Environmental Technician
- Everence Stewardship Advocate
- Gift Discernment Committee
- Girl’s Venture Club Leaders
- Hillcrest Academy Board Member
- Hospitality Coordinator
- Iowa Mennonite Benevolent Association/Extension Committee Member
- Junior MYF Sponsors
- Library Committee
- MarriageCare Mentoring Program
- MC USA (Mennonite Church USA) Bi-Annual Convention Delegate
- MCC Sale Representative
- MDS Representative
- Mennonite Women President
- Mennonite Youth Fellowship (MYF) Sponsors
- Mid-Week Church Activity Committee
- Ministry Coordinator – Draft
- Missions and Service Communicator
- Music Committee
- Nurture Committee
- Office Manager
- Pastor, Lead
- Primary/Junior Superintendent
- Public Address System Operator
- Second Century Chronicle Editor
- Service Committee
- SIMCA Representative (Southeastern Iowa Mennonite Camp Association)
- Stewardship Team
- Usher, Assistant
- Usher, Head
- Worship Committee
- Youth Advocate Coordinator(s)